[ANSTHRLD] Project "Whiny Butt"

Maridonna maridonna at maridonna.com
Sat Nov 10 09:22:40 PST 2007

kclement at verizon.net wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations to esteemed heralds and all heraldesque folk alike.
> Gregor Elfingstone here.
>
> I'd like to ask for help with a somewhat SCA related matter.
>
> My lady's best friend, Amy, is in the first stages of assimilation into our
> fair society, currently in the Outlands.   During a recent phone conversation,
> my lady was in the traditional act of accusing her of whining about her life,
> yet again, and Amy jokingly suggested trying to register "Whiny Butt" as her
> SCA name.

P. H. Reaney, in The Origin of English Surnames, obsolete names from
moral characteristics, p. 260, lists:
<Henry le Weper>, 1237.
<Ralph Snivel>, 1206.  I looked the word up in my OED and an early
meaning means runny nose, someone who sniffles alot.

A Concise Dictionary of Middle English lists several words similar
to Snivel
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/concise/concise.html

Mone-  sb. moan, complaint, PP, S, S2; moone, PP, C; moon, S2; mayn,
B; mayne, B, S3; mane, S2.

Playne, v. to complain, S2, PP; playn, S3; pleyne, PP, C2; pleyn,
S3; plane, S3; pleignen, pr. pl., S2; pleynand, pr. p., S2; plenand,
H.--OF. plaign-, stem of plaignant, pr. p. of plaindre (pleindre);
Lat. plangere.