[ANSTHRLD] How do you submit a populace ensign?

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sat Nov 10 09:54:17 PST 2007

To expand on Emma's reply and expose people to more details:

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Elizabeth Blackthorne <eblackthorne at gmail.com>
wrote:
> ... I want our group to actually register the populace ensign we
> already use.  Is this a "badge" so would we use that form.

In terms of use of armory forms, there's two classifications:

(1) "Device Submission".  The device, a coat of arms (at most one per
    customer at any time) for an individual or official SCA branch.
    The form has a shield shape.

(2) "Badge Submission".  Everything else that's armory [*]: personal
    badge, joint badge, guild badge (or in period terms guild arms),
    award badge, insignia, household badge, flag, ensign, ...

> If I do the form, am I the consulting herald, even though I am not a
> warranted herald?

As Emma wrote, it's mostly used just as another contact, someone who
can be contacted with questions and problems and who might help in
getting it thru.

Yes, it's a conflict with Fitzgerald and Ireland [+], and you can't
get permission to conflict with them.

[*] except for an achievement of arms.

[+] <http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ie-stpat.html> is an
    interesting little article on the ever-useful Flags of the World
    site about how that design got considered as "the cross of Saint
    Patrick".  I'd heard that the cross of Saint Patrick was simply
    taken from the Fitzgerald dukes of Leinster, but that doesn't seem
    entirely plausible in light of the faint and conflicting evidence
    in the article.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com