[ANSTHRLD] How do you submit a populace ensign?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Nov 10 22:58:13 PST 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007, Elizabeth Blackthorne <eblackthorne at gmail.com> wrote:
> If our group does not have a local herald and since the submitter is
> the group does that mean we only retain one colored copy for the
> seneschal records, instead of 1 for the herald or historian and 1
> for the submitter?

The Ansteorran College of Heralds Handbook,
<http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/docs/COHAdmin_Handbook_2003.pdf>, says

     POLICY ON SUBMISSIONS

     This policy is a guideline for handling submissions of names and
     armory. In practice, it is subject to modification due to
     circumstances.

     Submissions will be accepted from any of the following:
     * Local heralds
     * Regional heralds
     * Pursuivants Extraordinary that are on the kingdom list as
       recognized consultants
     * Approved submission tables

Section II has

     The Regional Herald, or a suitable appointed deputy(s), shall be
     responsible for the heraldic well being of those groups in their
     region who have chosen the 'No Herald Option'. This is to include
     any reasonable request made by said groups.

So technically it should go thru the regional or a pursuivant at
large.  You probably should e-mail asterisk at ansteorra.org to ask how
she wants it to be handled, whether she wants an intermediary regional
or whether you can send it direct.  Sending it thru an intermediary
increases the probability of it getting lost, and if there's a problem
then there's more mailing.

Section III of the Ansteorran COH Handbooks echoes the kingdom
requirements and local suggestions from the SCA-wide College of Arms
Administrative Handbook at
<http://sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html#X_B>.

     C. Record-keeping Requirements - A local herald shall maintain
     records as necessary for the support and maintenance of heraldry
     in the branch. Such records include the following categories of
     data.

         1. Submissions Forms - For submissions processed by the local
            herald, a repository of original submission paperwork shall
            be maintained for all items submitted through the
            office. Such paperwork should include any forms or
            supporting documentation provided by the submitter and
            his/her representatives.

         2. Submissions and Administrative Correspondence - A clean
            copy of each piece of correspondence shall be retained in
            the files. Such correspondence may include appointment
            letters, resignation letters, and monthly reports. Reports
            and other "formal" communication must be produced on paper.

and the same provision for regionals and PEs.  So I don't think it's
technically required for you, seneschal, though a regional would have
to keep his own copies.

The purpose of a local herald's copy of each submission is for
convenient reference by a local herald if there's a later question.
Ditto for a submitter's copy.  Those are still good reasons even if
not strictly required.

Regardless of requirements, I would suggest that you keep one copy of
everything in the local herald's files.  Even though you don't have a
local herald, there should still be old files that may be used by a
future herald.  If you've never had a local herald, well, no time like
the present to start the office's files.  The seneschal having a copy
of everything pertaining to the group sounds like a good idea, as does
giving a copy to the historian.  I'm a great fan of redundant backup
copies.  I'm a great fan of redundant backup copies.  I'm a great fan
of redundant backup copies.  If it goes thru a herald before Asterisk,
you have to put in an extra set for them.

Note, by the way, "original submission paperwork", in particular "any
forms or supporting documentation".  That's not just the colored copy;
that's the black-and-white copy and anything else you paperclip to it
when sending it up.

> Also on the money thing, it (the website) says the cost is $9 with
> $1 going to the local group, If the group doesn't have a herald, do
> we still give ourselves a dollar?

The purpose of the dollar skim is to cover the herald mailing the
submission in, and (if there's enough submissions to accumulate some
money) a little budget for Crayola Classic Markers or the Pic Dic or
some other useful heraldic source.  I hadn't considered the case of
when it's the group itself submitting; I'm not Star Principal Herald,
but if I had to bet, I don't see Star getting exercised about it
either way.

If it goes thru a regional, then you probably have to add the buck.

If it's direct to Asterisk: I'd ask the branch treasurer whether
there's already an item in the records holding funds for the herald's
office.  If not, I'd suggest not complicating her life by adding
another sub-account or whatever that has to be accounted for every
quarter.  (Just make a mental note of "if I ever get appointed as
local herald, donate a dollar.")

> And finally, can an individual send a check or money order instead
> of the group

The Ansteorran CoH Handbook says

     Payments

     Submissions from branch heralds must be paid by branch check made
     out to "SCA Inc. -- Kingdom of Ansteorra."

     Submissions from regional heralds and pursuivants extraordinary
     may be paid by branch check, personal check from the submitter or
     regional herald, or money order made out to "SCA Inc. -- Kingdom
     of Ansteorra."  The check or money order number must be entered on
     the Local line of each submission. If a regional herald or
     pursuivant extraordinary wishes, s/he may accept cash with
     issuance of receipt and forward his/her personal check and a copy
     of the receipt. They are in no way required or even expected to
     offer this service, but they may. Asterisk does not accept cash by
     mail.

So, again, cheque, er, check with Asterisk.

My understanding of why the cheque is required to come from the
branch's account:
- there's a paper trail locally of the submission being received,
   and then more paper trail at kingdom
- if a local writes a bad cheque, it's much easier for the branch to
   mulct him than for Asterisk to try it from hundreds of miles away
- Asterisk has enough problems with incoming paperwork -- not enough
   copies, wrong forms, not enough money, incomplete info -- without
   adding submitter cheque details

> ie I am going to donate this submission cost, so we don't have
> to go through the financial committee.

That approval should be pro forma if you're fronting the cost.  I'd be
inclined to suggest you go thru them and the group bank account anyway
just to cross your i's and dot your t's.

Danel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com