[ANSTHRLD] Question on Animal holding something...

TinyGypsyLady tinygypsylady at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 05:45:05 PST 2007

Well he had me a bit confused about it, Teceangl.  First, yes I would love any help.  Still really new at this as you know (lol).

  I believe he wants the Fox of his device to be holding the spear.  I asked him if the fox would be holding the banner and he said no.  Its for a banner only for next weekend.

  Viviana

It's period to have critters hold things, but fairly rare. The most
common was the mermaid holding a mirror and possibly a comb. It might
be something of a search for me to find period examples of critters
holding things, but could be fun. Want me to?

Now, in the SCA it's not uncommon at all. A critter holding a small
something is said to be maintaining it, and a maintained charge is
worth no heraldic difference. If the charge is large, like the period
bear and ragged staff badge where the two objects bear similar visual
weight, it is said to be sustaining the object and the other thing is
worth heraldic difference.

Now, conflict is a whole 'nother thing. A fox holding something would
need to be checked for conflict and such, if it were being considered
for a badge. If it's already her passed armory, then you're golden,
but I see no foxes holding spears in the Ordinary, so back to checking
for conflict. :)

- Teceangl

  YIS,

  Viviana Rowntree
  Oakenwald Pursuivant

  Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting "Holy Shit...What A Ride!"