[ANSTHRLD] Name of a charge

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:05:45 PST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 7:55 PM, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
<donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> Is there a special name for a lozenge with concave sides (not
> engrailed).  Like a mullet of four, but with a smooth curve connecting
> the points.  How would I describe such a thing?

The blazon description has been given, but there's a special term for
it used sometimes in older SCA blazon, I think.  It's a 'napkin' which
is an Arabic charge.  Ahh, there's one registered:

'Ayisha bint Mujir - February of 1991 (via the Outlands): Argent, a
fess enhanced and in base a goblet azure charged with an Arabic napkin
argent.

The term is not used for the same reason trousers of nobility are
reblazoned as drinking horns.  Clarity and reproducability without
having to look obscure, specialized, non-European blazon terms up.

- Teceangl