[ANSTHRLD] Suggestions needed

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 9 09:41:53 PST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Elizabeth Blackthorne <eblackthorne at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 8:16 AM, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:
>> Finally, the correct herald's tabard is the actual arms of the
>> branch, unchanged.  When the herald is wearing it, s/he is speaking
>> for the branch, and therefore only wears it for voice heraldry:
>> court, field or other announcements.
>
> Ok, this makes sense, but brings forth another question, if we were
> to have a person to sound calls with a bugle at our events, that
> being their only job, not making the announcement, just sounding
> that an announcement is fixing to be made, would that person be in a
> Heralds Tabord, or a Shire Tabord or would it matter?

You have caught Robin of Gilwell in an imprecision.  You are entitled
to circle the date on your calendar with a red marker and to add a
hash mark to the dexter sleeve of your best clothing.

Indeed, it should be stated more generally as: a herald should wear
the arms of the branch when he is acting in an official heraldic
capacity for the branch.  That may be while doing voice heraldry for
the branch, but it might be for a trumpeter, or for those who "process
with the other heralds on ceremonial occasions"
<http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/About/04.htm>

One example is <http://www.heraldry-scotland.co.uk/lyoncourt.html>,
with a picture titled "Proclaiming the dissolution of the Westminster
Parliament May 2001.  Ross Herald, Lord Lyon and Carrick Pursuivant."
They are all in tabards with the royal arms as borne in Scotland, but
only Lord Lyon has the fun of reading the proclamation.

Dannet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com