[ANSTHRLD] How do you submit a populace ensign?

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Nov 9 21:18:32 PST 2007

Questions and answers!

> As the Seneschal of Crossrode Keep, I want our group to actually
> register the populace ensign we already use.

Yay! "Register what you use" is a mantra many should pay more attention to.

> Is this a "badge" so
> would we use that form.

Yes. Make sure you're using the new forms, on the heraldry website
(http://heraldry.ansteorra.org, look under 'submissions' probably). The
badge form is square.

> If we use that form whose name do we put on
> it as the submitter.

Since it's for the group, you put "Crossrode Keep, Shire of" on the 'name'
line. For the rest of the contact information, either the seneschal or
branch herald's info (but I'm assuming you don't have the latter).

> If I do the form, am I the consulting herald,
> even though I am not a warranted herald?

You can leave that line blank, if you want; that's more so we know who else
has had a major hand in creating/consulting, so if any problems crop up
they're a logical person to talk to as well as the submitter directly.

> Whom would I get the letter
> for the permission to conflict with, when it is our groups device we
> will conflict with?

By precedent, you are always assumed to allow conflict with yourself. So you
don't need a letter of permission to conflict with your group's device.
(Now, if there are any *other* conflicts floating around out there...)

> I also need Blazon help, maybe, just tell me if I
> got it right.

What's important to remember is that we register the picture, not the words;
we change the words to correctly describe the picture. Having it close is
good, though!

> Our Groups device: Argent, on a saltire gules a tower Or, overall a
> laurel wreath vert.
>
> This is taken from Heralds page so that is right.  If I want to remove
> the laurel wreath to make it denote the populace would that make it:
> Argent, on a saltire gules a tower Or

Correct.

> If we wanted to add a colored border how would we do that?

Same as above, adding "and a bordure X", where 'X' is anything other than
argent (the same tincture as your field) or Or (gold, not a good contrast
with the field).  See below.

> Also a list of colors=heraldic emblazon would be helpfull.

Colors:
Black = sable
Red = gules
Blue = azure
Green = vert
Purple = purpure

Metals:
White = argent
Yellow = Or (note it's the only tincture that's capitalized)

Colors and metals have good contrast with each other. You can't layer stuff
that has bad contrast. Think of street signs for a good modern example.
White on green, black on white, but NOT green on black, for example.

-Emma