[ANSTHRLD] Questions on Blazoning

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 19:28:06 PST 2007

In a message dated 11/13/2007 8:35:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
eblackthorne at gmail.com writes:

Greetings,

I want to make sure that this blazon is exactly what  the picture
shows.  This is the populace badge for Crossrode  Keep.

Argent, on saltire gules a tower Or, and a bordure  vert.

Is this A green border (like a picture frame) with a red X and a  gold
tower in the center of the X.

Another question, if the tower  over laps the center of the X does it
matter, if so can I blazon it where  the tower can do this.

Elizabeth  Blackthorne

That's the way I read your blazon, exactly.

And yes, it does matter.  If the tower extends over the field, is not
contained completely within the saltire, it is blazoned as "overall".  In  addition,
it can no longer be Or, it would have to be a color other than  gules.  This
is true even if far more of the tower's edge is on the saltire  than on the
field. Overall charges are treated as being on the field, regardless  of
intervening charges, for the Rule of Tinctures. I suggest vert to go with the
bordure and to maximize contrast with the saltire.

This is the reason Northkeep's arms have an Or laurel wreath rather than  the
vert one we requested, even though a vert wreath would have contrasted much
better with the argent saltire and little bit of gules field it touches.

Oh, well, rules are rules for the majority of cases, not the  exceptions.

Kevin
Northkeep Herald