[ANSTHRLD] A little help here...

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 20:59:05 PDT 2007

A general answer for any local pursuivant and submittor is to first consult some of the Herladic texts available.  Ansteorra has a great list of links at http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/resources.php the Resources Section.  I particularly suggest the "SCA Heraldic Primer" for basic instruction on arrangement and blazon and "A Glossary of Terms Used in Heraldry" for detailed discussions of specific charges and their posture.

  A specific answer requires but a little more information.

  Does the submittor want the wolf's head to be the dominant charge?  If so he should draw it about as large as the two dolphins combined.  The blazon for this would be the "... a wolf's head cabossed between in fess two dolphins ..." blazon you mentioned.

  Does the submittor want the wolf's head and dolphins the same size?  If so, the blazon would be "Azure, in fess a wolf's head cabossed between two dolphins urinant respectant argent."  (Note how changing the order of the same words changes the meaning of the blazon).

  Drawing either one starts the same way.  There are hash marks at various places on the submission form to provide a guide on how to place charges.  The wolf's head should be centered on the "per pale" (top and bottom hash marks) and "per fess" (left and right hash marks).lines of division.

  The dolphins are centered on the "per fess" line of division.  Their orientation should be "palewise".  Finally, there should be enough space between them that even at a distance you can tell there are three separate things.

  Tostig

Local Pursuivant <seawindsherald at gmail.com> wrote:
  Submitter is going to shrink the charges to get more room on the shield. He
will then redraw with better spacing and center the drawing. He wants to
use the blazon "Azure, a wolf's head cabossed between in fess two dolphins
urinant respectant argent". Any advise I can pass on to the submitter as
far as placement of the charges will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Hallgeirr