[ANSTHRLD] pictorial armorial

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 06:18:11 PDT 2007

If memory serves, the griffon-dor site was last updated ca 12/04, so it should contain reproductions from blazons registered up to at about 6/04.

  I remember the site having a caveat that the images, even though they were not the original artwork, were still the property of the original submittor.  The site expressly gave the original submittor the right to have their images removed.  Some apparently did so, as the history of Crowns of Ansteorra page had several missing emblazons.

  I'd love to see the project done, but having completed something similar at the local level, my sympathies to whatever group of heralds tackle such an immense project.  It's definitely too large for one person to do.

  Tostig

Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
  As Asterisk, and now as Bordure, I've been scanning all colored emblazons
(and the line ones too as Asterisk, of course); the earlier ones I
color-corrected, the later ones (as Bordure) I don't. So everything from the
end of 2004 onward is already scanned.

(The trick with pulling files and scanning old artwork, is that before a
certain point, the artwork was considered copyrighted, and it's a grey area
whether or not we have fair use rights to stick it up on the web. Those can
be recreated, of course, if they haven't already been by that Lochacian
herald, but that's a bit more time. It shouldn't stop us from going ahead,
since we'll be constantly adding to the thing anyway!)

We have plenty (believe me) of web space, and the tools available to code up
practically anything.

So, really, the big issue is organization online. I would LIKE to see some
sort of hooks in the OP program (Francois?) so that when you pull up
someone's OP entry, you can see their armory if registered; or you can
browse the Roll of Arms, and be able to also pull up a person's OP entry.
This probably means a separate program/database for the Roll of Arms stuff,
with some sort of data passing both ways between it and the OP program...
This is where I get fuzzy about things, ha!

I've heard a few people mumbling about wanting/being able to write such a
thing. I'll happily supply the graphics I have and help out in any way I can
there.

-Emma, Bordure