[ANSTHRLD] pictorial armorial

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Mon Oct 15 07:59:14 PDT 2007

Wendel Bordelon wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On 10/14/07, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
>

>> (The trick with pulling files and scanning old artwork, is that before a
>> certain point, the artwork was considered copyrighted, and it's a grey area
>> whether or not we have fair use rights to stick it up on the web. ...
>>

> This is one of those great myths that just will not die....
>
> Firstly, the artwork is always copyright to the creator.  The SCA may
> use the artwork submitted on the forms for SCA heraldic purposes
> regardless of when the form was submitted because it is part of the
> intended use of the submission.  The first Francois Laurel confirmed
> this with the Board and the legal committee.   The bug-a-boo is not
> the artwork but all the personal information on the forms is not to be
> published.
>
> --Francois

Our V-Scribe, Master Ulf,  is working on a project like this at the
Baronial level, and he had concerns about using the artwork off the old
forms.  Is there a document you can point me to with the BoDs ruling?
Is it in an LOAR cover letter or something?

You can check out our project here:
http://namron.ansteorra.org/members.html  I believe Ulf's entry is the
only one with everything shown at this point.
http://namron.ansteorra.org/members/u.html#UlfGunnarsson

Baron Donnchadh