[ANSTHRLD] That question about profession-surnames a while back

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 08:49:31 PDT 2007

I didn't save the original set of letters, but the challenge came from a college professor to name a surname that derived from a medieval or earlier profession, that today refers to something quite different.

The best I had come up with before this was Coward, which derives from cow-herd (as in one who herds cows) similarly to Shepard/shepherd.
But coward isn't a profession and hooker is.