[ANSTHRLD] Device question

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 13:05:46 PDT 2007

Gyronny divides fields into even pieces of eight (or more).  Notice how they examples Alasdair gave approached that.
  The first example started with a line per fess.  After that the artist divided the top and bottom into five even pieces with bendlike lines going through a common point.
  The second example started with a line per pale.  After that this artist divided the left and right into five even pieces with bendlike lines going through a common point.
  The original image does none of the above so it appears heraldically unbalanced.  Good heraldry, but mis-informed artwork.  When redrawn remember that gyronny of ten vert and ermine conflicts with gyronny (of eight) vert and ermine which conflicts with gyronny of twelve vert and ermine.  It is clear from quarterly, per pale and per fess vert and ermine.

  Tostig

Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
  To answer the original qustion i would say it is gyronny of ten vert and ermine.
I am not sure about this particular depiction. Visually it looks off to me though i could be wrong.

Here are a couple other examples. http://www.heraldica.org/shell/illustr.pl?055 and http://www.baronage.co.uk/bpgif-03/campbels.gif.

Alasdair