[ANSTHRLD] Bends and Bendlets - can you have a single bendlet?

Robert Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 20:10:31 PDT 2007

I always assumed the untinctured blazons were from seals or effigies.  Papworth cites his Rolls and MS Folios on the earliest blazons (Which is why it 's so easy to peruse for), so his original sources are available.  Others may have researched to see if these "bendlets" fall in the same artistic license grey area as the "bend enarched" emblazons from the same Rolls.

  Tostig

tmcd at panix.com wrote:
  On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Robert Wade wrote:
> Papworth's Ordinary blazons several period arms as ".. a bendlet
> ...". A more trustworthy source than the emblazons of Foster's
> Dictionary

I don't know whether Papworth blazoned those things himself. It
doesn't seem unlikely, given the number of blazons like "... a bend
between six eagles ... and a chief ...", which makes me think that he
was looking at an untinctured representation (a seal, a carved stone,
whatever).

I think it would be much better to have actual pictures to show the
CoA.

Danielis Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com