[ANSTHRLD] Sumptuary question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 21:32:11 PDT 2007

HE Tostig wrote:

> Robin and Serena would be the most likely to know.  (I suspect it
> was an import from out of Kingdom. which was why the "option".
> Early Court Baronial Coronets were made flat.)

Short answer:  Tostig is correct.  It's an out-Kingdom import.  My
memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe the Principal Herald who
imported it was Kief, whose argument boiled down to "every other
kingdom does it but us".  Before that, the only Ansteorra-legal
baronial coronets (court and fief) were flat-tops.  That's the late
1990's, just in the last decade, so yes, Amberlea, it's a recent
addition.

I have more to say about WHY this was all the case -- cool SCA and
real-world historical info -- but I don't have time to type it right
now.  I have a real-world family situation that we have to deal with
that will keep me from the lists for a few days.  If I don't get back
to this by the end of the weekend, everyone on the list has
permission to electronically bonk me on the head to remind me.  (Try
physically bonking me on the head and you'll have to answer to
Robin.)

--Serena, Blanc Gryffon