[ANSTHRLD] Permission to conflict??

Hedwig/Melissa honeyfrog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:03:51 PDT 2008

What if the deceased person was the husband or wife of the person wishing to
have the registered items put into their name?  What is the protocol then?
This is assuming there is no heraldic will and all other hurdles have been
jumped (i.e. they don't have too many other items in their name, there are
no reserved charges etc.)

Hedwig

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Kathleen O'Brien <kobrien at texas.net> wrote:

> At 05:45 PM 4/8/2008 -0600, you wrote:
> >Is there a way to resolve a conflict if the person is no longer
> active/alive??
>
> If the person is alive, but not active, then you still have to get the
> letter of permission to conflict from them.  If they are really not active
> and have plans never to be active again, then they might consider
> releasing
> their items or at least granting a blanket letter of permission to
> conflict.  But, regardless, if they are alive, then they still own the
> item
> and only they can grant the permission.
>
> If the person is no longer alive, I think that permission to conflict may
> be granted by their legal heir(s) since the right to grant permission to
> conflict is reserved to the owner of the item - and so is the right to
> transfer.
>
> Here's the precedent I'm thinking of:
>

> [Transfer of name and device to Daniel del Cavallo] This is a posthumous
> transfer. The Laurel office was provided with (1) a copy of Caterina's
> real-world will, (2) a letter from Caterina's legal heir transferring
> Caterina's name and device to Daniel del Cavallo, and (3) a letter from
> Daniel accepting transfer of Caterina's name and device.
>
> We suggest that all people with registered armory consider writing an
> explicit heraldic will. Directions on how to create and file a heraldic
> will are in the newest Administrative Handbook section IV.F with a
> template
> for the will itself in Appendix D. This newest version of the
> Administrative Handbook is available on-line at
> http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html as well as from the usual
> print sources. [Caterina del Cavallo, 05/2002, A-Æthelmearc]
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Mari

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them,
but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them, and try to follow
where they lead.
- Louisa May Alcott