[ANSTHRLD] arms - your thoughts

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 19 12:20:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> Star Principal Herald:
>> I've never been a big fan of that crown style, but I think the
>> added splash of red there balances the red demisun in the kingdom
>> arms nicely.
>
> Yeah, but that's what is specified -- a royal crown. Not eastern or
> 'of three points' or whatever, Royal.

My first thought was that I don't have any sources handy, but that I
had the impression that what
<http://herald.ansteorra.org/new/arms.jpg> has a closed imperial
crown.

But I actually *do* have a source.  Checking James Parker,
<http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/Jpglossc.htm#Crown> -- always
a risky proposition in such a case, because he might be reporting a
Victorianism or an invention of a treatise writer -- he had

     Crown royal of England, sometimes also called an Imperial
     crown. The forms of the crowns worn by the successive kings of
     England very considerably, and will be found in architectural
     illustrations of the sculptured heads of kings from monuments and
     other stone carvings in churches[see examples in Rickman's Gothic
     Architecture, sixth and seventh Editions]; but in this place they
     must be considered only in their connection with armorial
     bearings. The earliest instance of the royal arms being ensigned
     with a crown is in the case of those of Henry VI. At this time the
     crown had attained its present form, with the exception of the
     number of arches. The arms of Edward IV. are surmounted by the rim
     of the crown only, adorned with crosses pattee and
     fleur-de-lis. The crown of Richard III. shews five semi-arches,
     that of Henry VII. shews but four, and his successor's only three,
     although seldom met with until about the time of James II., before
     which five semi-arches were generally shewn. Several instances of
     Royal crowns are found on coats of arms. ...

     The crown of Spain, as used by King Philip II., consort of Queen
     Mary of England, was a circle of gold jewelled, supporting eight
     strawberry-leaves. Four ogee arches, pearled, were sometimes
     added, meeting under a mound and cross pattee. No cap.

         The crown of Scotland, as borne by James VI. before his
     succession to the throne of England, exactly resembled the
     imperial crown of Great Britain. It is represented in the Crest of
     Scotland(q.v.). This differs essentially from the actual crown of
     Scotland, discovered in Edinburgh Castle in 1817. ...

     Imperial crown: is properly the crown peculiar to the German
     emperor, which forms part of the crest of STOKES of
     Cambridgeshire, though, as already said, in English arms the crown
     royal of these realms is often so called. [the depiction is rather
     like a bishop's mitre with one high arch from rim to rim, filling
     the gap lengthwise]

In compiled precedents, I see
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents/francois/wreath.html#CORONET>
referring to "an imperial coronet" but nothing on "royal crowns".

Anyone have a Pic Dic handy?

Danielis de Lincolino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com