[ANSTHRLD] Royal Crowns (was Re: arms - your thoughts)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 19 23:45:10 PDT 2008

I don't recall whether or not someone mentioned that "royal crown" is
not in the Pic Dic.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I interpret "royal crown" to mean distinguishably different from
> ducal, county, viscounty, or baronial coronets, ...
>
> It seems to me this brings up a good reason to revise the
> achievement registration and specifically detail the type of crown
> displayed in the kingdom achievement

Or perhaps not be bothered by heraldic detail that's blazonable but
makes no heraldic difference.

> the description should be unambiguous and be reproduced the same by
> multiple artists).

One blazon will not be reproduced exactly by two different artists:
even "Argent, a fess sable" would very likely have different widths
(much less shield shapes).  Such differences are rarely of any
significance.  To me, being too specific smacks of "caliper heraldry",
which was decried long ago.

But this is a philosophical point open to argument.

Daniel Lindocollinum
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com