[ANSTHRLD] Royal Crowns (was Re: arms - your thoughts)

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 12:23:47 PDT 2008

--- Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It could also be argued that since former Crowns are considered
> "royal family", crowns worn by them would be considered "royal
> crowns".

Nope.  The only people who wear crowns are monarchs.  All of the
other nobility, regardless of how their nobility was obtained, wear
coronets.

OED, "Coronet":  "A small or inferior crown; spec. a crown denoting a
dignity inferior to that of the sovereign, worn by the nobility, and
varying in form according to rank."

"Crown": "2. Spec. the cincture or covering for the head, made of or
adorned with precious metals and jewels, worn by a monarch as a mark
or symbol of sovereignty, a diadem."

[Note that I know darn well that these are not the only definitions
of these words, but they ARE the relevant definitions for these words
as used in this context.]

--Serena