[ANSTHRLD] Royal Crowns (was Re: arms - your thoughts)

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Mon Aug 25 09:28:13 PDT 2008

Referring to Daniel's citations below:

I have no doubt that there are coronets or crowns that in form don't match current, local sumptuary law or practice.  They may or may not match period practice where sumptuary laws came into effect in period practice.  That is part of the reason for the exceptions documented in the last point of Ansteorra's sumptuary law.  Also, while there are Crowns and certain symbolic elements that are reserved to our reigning royalty, Royalty can choose to wear a coronet that appears plainer or lesser.  There are things reserved to them, but they don't have to use them.  (Though it makes telling them apart from high ranking nobility easier when coronet watching at events.)

But, I do have to clarify something that Daniel's citations clearly indicate I made or presented unclearly.  A crown is a royal coronet.  The term coronet is a word that can include royal and non-royal items.  My concern in the second comment quoted from me (copied below) was in distinguishing Crowns from non-royal coronets, in light of the prior topic.  In truth, I presented that in a slightly sloppy way (it does read and indicate that the terms crown and coronet are mutually exclusive, which they are not in one direction) and I apologize for the confusion I may have caused.

So, the quoted sections of Ansteorran Sumptuary Law below are still relevant to my assertion.  "CROWNS or CORONETS bearing..."  There is a difference between the two as one term is more all inclusive and the other more specific.  "CORONETS bearing a Queen's Rose... are restricted to the Queen."  A Queen can wear a coronet, including specifically (but not limited to) a Crown, with the reserved element mentioned.

Etienne