[ANSTHRLD] Royal Crowns (was Re: arms - your thoughts)

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 19 12:20:10 PDT 2008

I interpret "royal crown" to mean distinguishably different from ducal,
county, viscounty, or baronial coronets, and pretty much anything that
doesn't specifically fall into those categories, or has been
grandfathered to individuals, falls into the category of use for/by the
Crown of a kingdom only.  So a "royal crown" isn't exactly specific.  It
could also be argued that since former Crowns are considered "royal
family", crowns worn by them would be considered "royal crowns".

It seems to me this brings up a good reason to revise the achievement
registration and specifically detail the type of crown displayed in the
kingdom achievement (and if the consensus is to use the style of crown
depicted in the image Garreth posted, I'm fine with that - I just think
in keeping with blazoning, the description should be unambiguous and be
reproduced the same by multiple artists).

Alden