[ANSTHRLD] Name Help-Italian

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Aug 21 10:58:42 PDT 2008

> > i could not find anything for "Feliciano" on Saint Gabriel.  Thanks in
> > advance.

> <Feliciano> is difficult, but I'm still looking.
> --
> Andrea / Maridonna

Since you're already looking at this, you may want to look at De Felice
(cognomi), p. 123 s.n. Felici which lists Feliciani.  Also, De Felice (nomi)
p. 166 s.n. Felice lists Feliciano.

My Italian is bad enough that I'll leave it to you to figure out if these
entry support <Feliciano> as a masculine given name in period.  (<Feliciani>
and <di Feliciano> would be the expected bynames from a masculine given name
<Feliciano>.)

It's worth noting that the Italian name <Feliciano> (even if it's only
modern) is not the same as a Spanish word meaning "happy year".  That would
end in <a{n~}o> pronounced \AH-nyoh\.  <ano> would be pronounced \AH-noh\.
(n and n-yeh are two different letters in Spanish.)  According to his
website, <Jos{e'} Feliciano>'s last name has an n not an n-yeh, so I expect
it's not related to "happy year":

http://www.josefeliciano.com/index2.html

Mari