[ANSTHRLD] Royal Crowns (was Re: arms - your thoughts)

Alisone McCay alisone.maccay at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 12:30:40 PDT 2008

Okay...since we are discussing "royal crowns", consider how many rulers we
have.  Are we going to make Ansteorra have a particular culture and make the
crown for the achievements be that...or will it be per whim?  I think this
was discussed already at one point...sorry...work has stolen my brain.

IS
Alisone - Stellar Scroll

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Diane Rudin <serena1570 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Alden Drake <alden_drake at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > It could also be argued that since former Crowns are considered
> > "royal family", crowns worn by them would be considered "royal
> > crowns".
>
> Nope.  The only people who wear crowns are monarchs.  All of the
> other nobility, regardless of how their nobility was obtained, wear
> coronets.
>
> OED, "Coronet":  "A small or inferior crown; spec. a crown denoting a
> dignity inferior to that of the sovereign, worn by the nobility, and
> varying in form according to rank."
>
> "Crown": "2. Spec. the cincture or covering for the head, made of or
> adorned with precious metals and jewels, worn by a monarch as a mark
> or symbol of sovereignty, a diadem."
>
> [Note that I know darn well that these are not the only definitions
> of these words, but they ARE the relevant definitions for these words
> as used in this context.]
>
> --Serena

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, its too dark
too read."
---Anita Blake vampire series
Jay London  - "I saw a stationery store move."