[ANSTHRLD] Fw: Request conflict check

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 21 20:45:49 PST 2008

Ok - based on Jaelle's precedent;

"[considering Argent, four scarpes gules, overall a bear rampant sable] After much thought we have decided that with that many scarpes on the field, that there is no effective difference between that and a bendy sinister field. It was not unusual for barry or paly fields in period to be drawn with an odd number of traits (which we'd blazon as bars or palets); see, for example, the arms of Mouton (Multon, Moleton) found both as Barry argent and gules. and Argent, three bars gules. (Dictionary of British Arms, Volume 1, pp 59, 88; Foster, p.145) and the arms of von Rosenberg, whose Per fess field has in base either three bends or bendy depending upon the artist's whim (Siebmacher, p. 8; Neubecker and Rentzmann, p. 290). Even when the distinction is worth blazoning, it's worth no difference. Therefore, this conflicts with ... Argent, a bear rampant sable.... (Aron Nied wied , 12/ 97 p. 8)"

I can see how "Gules, three bendlets enhanced Or" could be considered indistinguishable from "Per bend bendy Or and gules and gules", but I don't agree that it should necessarily be the case.

Boutell's Heraldry states, " The bend is formed by two diagonal lines from dexter chief to sinister base (76).  Two or more bends may be borne on one shield (77), and if there are three or more they may be termed bendlets.  These must be distinguished from bendy." (pg 41)

And on bendy, the same source says, "Fields of a rather more complex character, termed varied fields, may be produced by further division, e.g. three, five or some other odd number of palewise lines produce paly; a similar number of fess-wise lines produce barry (called barruly, or burule, if the divisions are numerous  say ten or more); and bendy, bendy-sinister, and chevronny result from similar subdivision of the field (43-47).  It will be noted that these fields always consist of an even number of pieces. (pg 33)

I would suggest that to distinguish multiple diminutives on a field from a similar field division (i.e. three bendlets vs bendy) would be to draw them such that the lines that form the bendlets are not evenly spaced (as in the submitter's revised emblason), as they would be for bendy (as in the submitter's original emblazon).

Alden