[ANSTHRLD] Name Change Question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Feb 12 12:15:00 PST 2008

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, kevinkeary at aol.com <heralds at lists.ansteorra.org> wrote:
> I may be way off base or merely out of date, but as I understand it,
> the College doesn't CARE whether a registered name matches a
> person's real-world gender

Quite so.  The usual formulation is "The heralds do not do panty checks".

> or the clothes he/she dresses in. They only want the name to be
> internally consistent, having a reasonably plausible (with
> no convoluted explanation necessary) connection between the name
> elements, temporally and geographically.

Basically.  The outline of the requirements is in the RfS for which I
posted a URL.  I would summarize it, rather, as "must be acceptable
for some time, place, and culture in period, but there's slack for
issues of temporal disparity, language or culture inconsistency, legal
naming, and other cases".

> Descriptive appelatives aren't used mundanely any more in a LEGAL
> name anyway

Generally not in America by native Americans, but I had to set up a
new employee's accounts and I learned that his surname is actually an
unmarked patronymic.  (He's from somewhere in India.)

> Since that would only qualify the applicant to use the name element
> as a MIDDLE name

Nope.  It can be used in any position that matches its semantic type:
given name or surname, or perhaps middle name if the culture could
have middle names, and if it's not out of place for the culture's
practices for middle names.

So the question really is "what is the entire desired name?".

Danielis de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com