[ANSTHRLD] Name Change Question

Cerise Jennings calibrey at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 15:02:03 PST 2008

I think you're right...no one cares about the real world gender and stuff. I was talking about her SCA name not matching her SCA persona gender. She said in the past she tried to submit this and was told her SCA name, Aerin,  would have worked if she was shooting for a males name but that it was undocumentable for a female in that country/time period. To overide this, she is willing to change her real world name to be able to use it for a female sca name anyway. The submitter basically wants to know if, when she changes her legal name, she needs to put Aerin as her real world first name instead of real world middle name, since she's intending to use Aerin as her SCA personal name.

  ~Clairiandra

kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:

I may be way off base or merely out of date, but as I understand it, the College doesn't CARE whether a registered name matches a person's real-world gender or the clothes he/she dresses in. They only want the name to be internally consistent, having a reasonably plausible (with no convoluted explanation necessary) connection between the name elements, temporally and geographically. Other than that, their responsibility ends with advising the applicant with what their desired name IMPLIES about their gender, time period and ethnicity.

As for the other issue, the name element justified by being the applicant's real-world name has to be used in the same manner or position -- surname for surname and personal name for personal name. Descriptive appelatives aren't used mundanely any more in a LEGAL name anyway, and 'middle' names weren't used by many cultures in period. Since that would only qualify the applicant to use the name element as a MIDDLE name (I assume the College isn't going to open the can of worms checking on WHEN a name became the applicant's middle name would be), that would be limiting in terms of cultures and not really what the applicant wants anyway.

OK, fire back. How far off am I?
Kevin, Northkeep Herald