[ANSTHRLD] Name Change Question

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Tue Feb 12 16:03:39 PST 2008

Cerise Jennings <calibrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I think you're right...no one cares about the real world gender and stuff. I was talking about her SCA
>  name not matching her SCA persona gender. She said in the past she tried to submit this and was told
>  her SCA name, Aerin,  would have worked if she was shooting for a males name but that it was
>  undocumentable for a female in that country/time period.

The College of Arms does not have anything to do with persona.  That means there is no requirement that the gender, time period, etc match the name submitted for it to be registered.  It only has to be registrable in and of itself.

If she wants to register a boys name then she can. Ii have known several women that have even though they had female persona.  If the name as constructed is registerable as it is then she can register it without changing her legal name to accommodate it.

That being said I have not researched the name "Aerin of Adlersrue" is itself registerable as constructed as your email indicated.

Alasdair