[ANSTHRLD] Baronial investiture ceremonies

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:18:35 PST 2008

> >> Might you look into compiling "THE book of PAST ceremonies." That
> >> way a herald can access the factual accounts of past investitures
> >> and make an more informed and educated decision.
> >>

> > As for "educated": past ceremonies are no guide to what was done in
> > period.  For me, SCA traditions as SCA traditions have no pull on my
> > heart; real-world tradition and knowledge do.
> >
> > Danihel Lindum

Ive already thrown my 2 cents in, so let me toss a nickel your way and make
it 7 cents ;)

For past events, I am skeptical that anyone could mass any sot of
comprehensive library, given their state of traditionally being custom jobs
each time. If you think you can, good luck, Good Luck, God Speed, and let me
know if I can help. But frankly, I think a better option (more piratical)
would be to get some of the heralds who have done a few of these things to
pen some basic overviews of what does go into making a script. As a
relatively new court herald, I would love the option to read that type of
document before even assisting an investiture.

However, a good practice might be to politely request that all herads for
future investitures scan and e-mail a complete copy of their notes and
script to the kingdom (whatever office you think is best) . That would
generate a standing historical record for Heralds to use, much like a law
library for a lawyer.

as to the "Educated" point that Danihel Lindum posted  in reply to me. I
would like to point two things out.

1. I know of at least one landed couple who did research into their history,
and while I can not say that their whole ceremony was period per say, I know
for a fact that a number of elements they included in it were absolutely
documentable and accurate. So I submit that SCA traditions and Historical
Traditions are not automatically exclusive of each other.

2. If I am a herald and someone comes up to me and says "I am being invested
as Baron of [Insert group name here], and I want to do the ceremony like
Baron [Insert super-cool SCA baron's name here] did when he was invested",
then I have only thoughts: a. my opinion of historical vs SCA traditions
don't mean squat, a future noble just told me the terms of my employment as
his herald. b) how fast can I find the original herald and pin him down for
a game of 20 (thousand) questions.

Also, I happen to know that several investitures  included references to the
Local culture and history of the local groups. That is education, weather  I
use those parts in a future investiture or not.

Not trying to argue here, I know I have a for being agressive with my posts
at times. I'm just (calmly, I sware :) ) responding to Danihel's comments.

I think I threw in more than a nickel.... does anyone have change for a
buck? ;)

In service
Ivo Blackhawk
Voice herald