[ANSTHRLD] Danet De Lycoln (or Danihel Lindum)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 24 12:06:07 PST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Cisco Cividanes <engtrktwo at gmail.com> wrote:
> To Danet De Lycoln (or Danihel Lindum, same e-mail, bit different
> names.  I'm new to this list, would you mind explaining that to me.)

My registered name is "Daniel de Lincoln".  I would like to use period
spellings of my name, and there's a number of attested period
spellings of the elments.  I took all the period English spellings I
know of for "Daniel" and for "de Lincoln", and generated all
combinations of one from column A and one from column B.  That's 36
permutations.

I did the same for Latin forms of each, but in Latin, the ending may
change depending on whether there's "de" or not (Lincolinum versus
de Lincolino, frex).  And I threw in a few jokes, like when a friend
said (just *after* my name was registered) "Daniel Delinquent".

A program hands me a random choice each time I request it.

Does this give me period forms of my entire name?  Not necessarily.
Each of the spellings of given names are from various sources from
various places at various times, and the spellings of surnames
probably from different sources from different places at different
times.  For example, perhaps a scribe who would write "Danyll" would
never have used 'i' in "de Linccolne", yet I have "Danyll de
Linccolne" listed as a permutation that can be chosen.

When considering when a thing is period style, one has to consider
not just the ingredients, but how they're combined.  Unfortunately,
I don't have the knowledge to do that well with names.

> I do not read this e-mail, or the one before it, frankly, as polite
> disagreement or conversation. If I am wrong, please, clarify your
> intent and I will gladly apologies for my defensiveness.
> But so that you understand my position, these read to me as, as
> best, a challenge to defend my statements, something I find
> inappropriately aggressive given the topic.

I am trying to advocate greater consideration of period style, but I
am not *trying* to be argumentative, impolite, or chastising.  But I'm
not really a good judge of whether my tone actually came out as
inappropriate.

The context, as best I remember, ... wait, the list has archives ...
> >> I know of at least one landed couple who did research into their
> >> history, and while I can not say that their whole ceremony was
> >> period per say, I know for a fact that a number of elements they
> >> included in it were absolutely documentable and accurate.
>
> > I would bet that the ENTIRE ceremony wasn't period, even when you
> > leave aside the issue of modern English versus whatever languages the
> > originals were in.
> > It's the best you can do.  You have to balance period practice,
> > modern sensibilities, and modern practicalities.

> 3. do you see my posts as some sort of challenge?

In the quoted text above, I'm actually trying to agree with you.
"I cannot say that their whole ceremony was period per se" -> "yeah,
it probably wasn't 100% period, but it's not possible to get 100%".

Hrm, I think I got the negation wrong in

> > I would    bet that the ENTIRE ceremony wasn't period,

Looking at it again, it looks like I'm saying it was 100% INauthentic,
which is not what I meant.  My apologies for my bad point control.
I meant

> > I wouldn't bet that the ENTIRE ceremony was    period,

That is, I'd bet that it wasn't 100%, not that it was 0%.

In

> > It's the best you can do.  You have to balance period practice,
> > modern sensibilities, and modern practicalities.

"you" is the generic "you", meaning

> > It's the best one can do.  One has to balance period practice,
> > modern sensibilities, and modern practicalities.

I do like archaic words (and currency; I use 50c and $1 coins and $2
bills), but I can't bring myself to use "one" -- it's just TOO archaic
for me.

There are a number of points that I can't argue with that I just left
alone.  E.g.,
> >> So I submit that SCA traditions and Historical
> >> Traditions are not automatically exclusive of each other.
and
> >> Also, I happen to know that several investitures included
> >> references to the Local culture and history of the local
> >> groups. That is education, weather I use those parts in a future
> >> investiture or not.

Danyell de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com