[ANSTHRLD] ENGLISH SURNAMES in 1601 and 1602 back in print

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Tue Jan 8 10:40:51 PST 2008

> > REFERENCES TO ENGLISH SURNAMES in 1601 and 1602 [Published with]
> > An Index Giving About 20,500 References to Surnames Contained in the
> > Printed Registers of 964 English Parishes During the Second Year of
> > the XVIIth Century
> >
> http://www.genealogical.com/index.php?
main_page=product_info&item_number=2750&NLC-GenPointers1

> This is often cited as "Hitching and Hitching" (the names of the
> authors).  While not in Appendix H, "Name Books That Do Not Require
> Photocopies to Laurel", it does get cited occasionally (though I don't
> see any citations in September LoIs or December OSCAR commentary).

Sigh.  It was supposed to go onto Appendix H during Francois I.  I don't know
how the ball got dropped on that.  It may be that it collided with the 400-
item LoAR...

Anyway, the Pelican office has a copy.  We can ask that it get added to
Appendix H.

As Magnus said, this is a great resource for late-period spellings.  If a
submitter wants a particular spelling and I can't find it in Reaney & Wilson
or Bardsley, I go to Hitching & Hitching.

Mari
(whose copy of Hitching & Hitching is getting pretty dog-eared....)