[ANSTHRLD] February LoAR is out

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 08:08:21 PDT 2008

Please note the following Notes and Requests for Commentary from the Cover Letter of the Feb 08 LoAR.

>From Laurel: Order of the Pelican
Table 1 of the Glossary of the Terms notes that a chapeau, a pelican in its piety, and a pelican vulning itself are reserved to the "Order of the Pelican". A submission this month (Dorio of the Oaks, East LoI) questioned whether or not a member of the Order of the Pelican could register armory containing a pelican in its piety. They can: prior Laurels have implicitly assumed they might do so (LoAR of June 1988), and there has been no explicit prohibition since then. We hereby state outright that members of the Order of the Pelican may incorporate the symbols of their Order - the pelican and the chapeau - in their personal armory. The Glossary of Terms will be updated to clarify these items are reserved to members of the Order of the Pelican.
>From Wreath: Laurel Wreaths and Territorial Arms
Currently laurel wreaths are reserved for - and are a required component of - territorial arms. This topic has been a subject of debate many times. It has long been argued that the requirement that territorial arms have a laurel wreath as a prominent component of the arms is ahistoric. The counter-argument has been that it makes it easy to identify territorial groups which, while not a period practice, is very much part of SCA historical practice. We are considering removing the requirement that territorial arms have a laurel wreath and invite comments from the College of Arms and others. Those who wish to comment but are not commenting members of the College of Arms (and thus unable to post to OSCAR), may send their commentary directly to wreath-herald at sca.org; those comments will then be posted verbatim to OSCAR.
>From Wreath: Laurel Wreaths for Laurels?
Currently laurel wreaths are reserved for territorial arms. A member of the Order of the Pelican may register armory with the symbol of the order, as may a member of the Order of the Chivalry. It has been suggested that members of the Order of the Laurel should also be allowed to registered armory with the symbol of their order. We request opinions on whether or not laurel wreaths should be reserved for members of the Order of the Laurel in addition to territorial arms. Please note that this decision is independent of the decision whether or not to remove the requirement that territorial arms include a laurel wreath. Regardless of the outcome of these two discussions, laurel wreaths will continue to be reserved for territorial arms. Those who wish to comment but are not commenting members of the College of Arms (and thus unable to post to OSCAR), may send their commentary directly to wreath-herald at sca.org; those comments will then be posted verbatim to
 OSCAR.