[ANSTHRLD] [Fwd: Heraldry announcement for Commentary

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 11:17:13 PDT 2008

Francesca fumed:

>Correct me if I am wrong but as a member of two baronial guards (long
story)
>I remember sitting with the local herald of both Baronies at different
>points in time while designing baronial tabards and was reminded that
we, as
>a populace, could not wear the Baronial Arms. That is reserved only for
>banners and for the sitting B&B or B to wear.

Close. Add a herald who is speaking FOR the b/b AT THE TIME. The
baronial herald who is merely acting in his office cannot wear a tabard
with the baronial arms on it.

>Anyhow, I am against the change. I have to agree with Da'ud that this
seems
>to be more about "new broom sweeps clean" syndrome that hits when the
office
>changes over than about public opinion or periodness (sp?). I mean, can
>someone quote a book or heck even a url with a device that uses a
>representation of their peerage inside the shield as opposed to
outside the
>shield yet? If not, there goes that periodness argument as well.

I'd hate to be in a situation where a new peer thinks changing their
device is needed, or even appropriate, merely because their rank has
changed. I agree that such things should be relegated to the
achievement.

>What this call is about: they want general public's opinion not just
that of
>the colleges. So it is for every (wo)man so to speak, to ... speak up
and
>say yea or nay. Discussing it on this list is one thing, it matters
not who
>you are, sending in your comments to the office asking for this is
still
>much better. :)

Hear, hear. But hearing what wiser heads on THIS forum have to say is
helping me make up my mind as to how strongly I feel, or whether I
should change my mind, before I do so. Robin and Sara have both
presented very good arguments for opposing conclusions (on the
wreath-and-territorial branch issue. I haven't seen much discussion on
the wreath-for-laurel-peers issue.)

It may (or may not) be of interest to you that when Northkeep (shire)
sent in its arms submission lo these many years ago, the laurel wreath
was vert, which had nice contrast with the argent saltire it was mostly
on AND the Gules field it was partly on (as an overall charge). The
College was forced to apply the then-and-now interpretation of the rule
of tinctures and change the wreath to Or, since it was an overall
charge on a Color field. The net result is that it has poor contrast
with the saltire and, IMO, poorer contrast with what little of the
field it touches than our original choice would have. It's nearly
impossible to see from a distance. If this rule is changed, I intend to
Suggest to our B&B and Seneschal that they consider a device-change
submission removing it, since it mostly now functions as useless
clutter that gives our seamstresses headaches and we have little-to-no
hope of ever getting the interpretation of the Rule changed.

That will exacerbate another problem, of course, one you reminded me
of. OUR baronial guard tabards currently bear our arms with the laurel
wreath removed. I've already told our baron that's not correct, but I
haven't pressed the issue. Making our baronial arms identical to those
tabards, before we register a badge for the guard to wear properly,
would make the problem worse.

Kevin