[ANSTHRLD] Conflict checks and Blazon help

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Wed Jun 25 18:46:52 PDT 2008

Russell S <russellschraeder at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I have created a website to put my devices on and recieve feedback in reference to conflicts on.  I am a really new Herald and am learning as I go and all the help I can get would be great.
>
>  If you go to this link http://www.freewebs.com/fgherald/apps/photos/  you will find my conflict check page.  It has a feature that will allow you to make your comments right onto the phots page.
>
>  I need help with photo #1 What is an Alphyn and how do I blazon Orange, I figured it would be a form of Gules?

I started to reply on your page, but figured to post it here for educations sake.

1.  It would actually be Chequy argent and sable.  Start with the tincture that is in the dexter chief (top right as you are holding the shield.  Top left as you look straight at it).

2.  Next the tincture you are looking for is Tenne. Last I checked it was nto a registrable tincture in the SCA as it is post period.

3.  To answer your other question an alphyn is "The alphyn is an heraldic monster with a body similar to that of a tyger; its other characteristics vary, but it is most commonly shown with eagle's forelegs and a knotted tail. It was used as a badge by the Lords de la Warre."  ( http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/Beasts/ )

Please oh more knowledgeable ones.  Correct me if I am wrong.

My recommendation would be to make it gold.  Note I have not conflict checked it though.

Alasdair