[ANSTHRLD] dcumentation for a name

Coblaith Mhuimhneach Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 27 15:39:11 PDT 2008

"searching for Searlaid" wrote:
> The name I am searching is Searlaid for Scottish/Gaelic 13th century.
> Where do I go and how much documentation should I have?

First, go to the Medieval Names Archive guide to Scottish names
<http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml>.  Read "Scottish Names
101", then "Quick and Easy Gaelic Names".    You'll need to understand
what's explained there to put together a complete, correctly
constructed name.

There is mention in the Annals of Ulster of a woman named "Sáerlaith"
who died in 969.  If you use that spelling, the relevant page of the
"Index of Names in Irish Annals"
<http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/Feminine/
Saerlaith.shtml> should suffice as documentation.  That early, so far
as I'm aware, it's reasonable to assume any Gaelic name used in Ireland
was known in Scotland as well.  Whether the name continued in use into
the 13th century I don't know.

As you can see from the annals index page, the name is also discussed
on pages 160 and 161 of the 2nd edition of Donnchadh Ó Corráin and
Fidelma Maguire's _Irish Names_.  You might find more information
there, and could use it as additional documentation if you wish.

Coblaith Mhuimhneach
<mailto:Coblaiith at sbcglobal.net>