[ANSTHRLD] dcumentation for a name

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jun 27 15:13:40 PDT 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Jennifer Couch <okwldflwr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to search for documentation of a name and I am not sure
> where to begin.  I have tried online searches, but not sure if what
> I have is accurate and I dont want to submit until I have something
> worth checking.  The name I am searching is Searlaid for
> Scottish/Gaelic 13th century.

The Academy of Saint Gabriel has a lot of articles that are scholarly,
and they're aimed at the SCA reader.  <http://s-gabriel.org/>
In particular, the Medieval Names Archive has lot of fine articles.

"How do I justify Searlaid as a Scottish/Gaelic 13th Century name?"
begs rather a lot of questions to start with.  I suggest you start by
reading the header on <http://s-gabriel.org/names/> (the main page of
the MNA), then read the intro to the Scottish main page
<http://s-gabriel.org/names/scottish.shtml>, which explains why
"Scottish" is not a linguistic term (you probably mean "Scottish
Gaelic"), then read

     Scottish Names 101, by Effric neyn Kenyeoch vc Ralte

         A required first stop for anyone interested in authentic
         period Scottish names.

Danihel Lincolia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com