[ANSTHRLD] trumpets vs Devices

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 19:05:49 PST 2008

Okay...

I am sure this discussion has come up before, but I wasn't here (on
this list) when it was talked about, so allow me to reopen this can of
worms.

A) Presently, SCA heralds (at least in the north) ware green tabards
with Crossed Gold trumpets on them.

B) In period, the Herald usually donned the arms of his employer.

I understand that under conventions and heraldic law, the crossed
trumpets are improper as they are actually the arms of the college of
Heralds.

So, how do I balance SCA convention with heraldic law? Do I even try?
Or should I just pick one or the other and go with it.  I'm sure this
isn't just one answer, but I'm interested in feedback, so fire away.

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Province of Mooneschadowe
Kingdom of Ansteorra
"God Save the King!"