[ANSTHRLD] trumpets vs Devices

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 06:53:32 PST 2008

On the few occasions I've done it, the entrant agreed to their Consort having at least an equal emphasis during the procession.  In situations such as this ...

Britt <tierna.britt at gmail.com> wrote:  > Okay, let me see if I have this down. Suppose someone hires me to
> herald them for a crown tournament, I guess if I want to do it right,
> I should go ahead and make a full tabard with their arms on it, right?

No, as part of their employ of you they should supply the tabard.
There's good reason a fighter should wear his or her arms on a
surcote. So that when they hire a herald they have an old surcote they
can hand to their herald as a tabard. :P

We've one VERY savvy herald around here who sits every new knight down
and helps them design their arms on a tabard and sends them away with
notes so they can make or have made said tabard for such time as they
need a herald, or who counsels them to refurbish a surcote into a
tabard 'just in case'. Some listen, some don't, but our pas d'armes
can be pretty interesting as a result of his care. (And a nice side
effect is if they have the tabard they get the itch to use it and
sometimes hire a standing personal herald just ni case...)

  ... would marshalled arms of the entrant and consort be appropriate?

  Tostig