[ANSTHRLD] Arms for Entrants/Consorts - aka Impaling/Pretence

Darin Herndon darin.herndon at chk.com
Tue Mar 4 07:52:23 PST 2008

The issue requirement makes sense.  A baron who married a duchess did not become a duke.  But their son would.  Until there was a son, the baron could not claim that his bloodline would inherit the duchy.  Given some of the items you quoted earlier and that I saw, I wonder if that issue requirement became a hard and fast rule or if it had spotty application.

I feel obliged to point out for followers of this thread that the sentence you quoted below was me interpreting the quote I cited from pg. 409.  But your point about Fox-Davies using peerage to indicate nobility is a valid concern.  I do not know if this would exactly map to the lesser grants or not.  The herald in me that loves consistency hopes it would but enough rules in heraldry and the laws of arms were developed after conflicting precedents that had to be accommodated that it is uncertain.  Fox-Davies said something in that marshalling chapter about how the rules had to adapt to prior inconsistencies and make them fit some ongoing logic (I'm paraphrasing, not quoting); I may have to look that up again.

On Tostig's note, I would also like to see any documentation on consorts or ladies granting favor in tournaments and their traditional roles if any.  Most of what I have seen is information gleaned from reviewing paintings or fabric works of the period in books.  Mostly the "high age of romance" tournament paintings showing the ladies watching as a group and tying on favors, etc.  I cannot think of an example of a processional at tournament though I think I may have seen an image of a procession or entrance into a royal court.  If I can find that, I'll post the source.  If I remember correctly, the King was seated and a lord and lady were approaching with a herald under one banner (the lord's).

Etienne