[ANSTHRLD] French Heraldry Help

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 22:14:00 PDT 2008

> Greetings all I have been tasked with finding information on French Heraldry
>  from the middle ages, specifically rules for coats of arms.  I am not asking
>  for anyone to do the research for me, but to give me websites, book titles,
>  ect that I may know where to look to find these things.

I have some resources that might be useful to you.

The Academy of Saint Gabriel has some articles and links online:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/french.shtml
I specifically recommend Toison d'Or, which is renaissance rather than
medieval, and 200+ pages, but has some of the best depictions out
there.

There are some rolls of arms of which I am aware:

Armorial de la Flandre Wallonne dit de La Marche de Lille, Francois
Boniface, Sources Genealogiques et Historiques des Provinces du Nord,
2001, ISBN 2-908976-72-2

L'Armorial Bellenville, Michel Pastoureau and Michel Popoff, Editions
du Gui, Lathuile-Haute-Savoie, 2004, ISBN 2-9517417-2-3

L'Armorial Le Breton, Emmanuel de Boos (and others), Somology éditions
d'Art, Paris, 2004, ISBN 2-85056-792-2.

These are rolls to which I have been exposed secondhand, so I have no
idea about availability, only that they are considered excellent by
sone of the best period armorists I know in the SCA.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html