[ANSTHRLD] trumpets vs Devices

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 22:42:54 PST 2008

>  Okay, let me see if I have this down. Suppose someone hires me to
>  herald them for a crown tournament, I guess if I want to do it right,
>  I should go ahead and make a full tabard with their arms on it, right?

No, as part of their employ of you they should supply the tabard.
There's good reason a fighter should wear his or her arms on a
surcote. So that when they hire a herald they have an old surcote they
can hand to their herald as a tabard. :P

We've one VERY savvy herald around here who sits every new knight down
and helps them design their arms on a tabard and sends them away with
notes so they can make or have made said tabard for such time as they
need a herald, or who counsels them to refurbish a surcote into a
tabard 'just in case'.  Some listen, some don't, but our pas d'armes
can be pretty interesting as a result of his care.  (And a nice side
effect is if they have the tabard they get the itch to use it and
sometimes hire a standing personal herald just ni case...)

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html