[ANSTHRLD] Arms for Entrants/Consorts - aka Impaling/Pretence

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 3 18:11:20 PST 2008

"What was given to her directly in her creation as a peeress may not be inheritable and as such may be illegitimate for the husband or fighter to "pretend" to "represent"."

This sentance then seems to say that if a peeress' arms are not inheritable, they should not be borne on an escutcheon of pretense by her husband.  It's worth pointing out though that Fox-Davies uses peerage to indicate nobility (baronies and above, and baronetcies too, I think), so the question remains, does this hold true for lesser Grants?  Also, I'd also want to look into when peerages were given that were not hereditary.  That may have been a later convention.  If so (and I don't see why it wouldn't), then since Arms granted in the SCA are not hereditary, an escutcheon of pretense would be improper.

I also found a neat bit in Oxford, pg 123, "College manuscript L 15 states  that there must be issue of the marriage before a husband may bear his wife's arms in pretence."  The word "issue" here refers to having children.

Alden