[ANSTHRLD] Arms for Entrants/Consorts - aka Impaling/Pretence

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 19:06:09 PST 2008

Thank you all for your work and research.

  I suspect the root problem is how the SCA stages Tournaments -- that the very mention of Consorts in a Tournament Procession is probably NPS.  Other than the "common knowledge" of "carrying favors", does anyone know where to find the historical role of a Consort during a Tournament?

  Tostig

  Post Scriptum: I think Etienne's original suggestion of additional banners is the best one.  More pagentry is better.  Besides, they add ambience to the Entrant and/or Consort's campsite, etc.

  Darin Herndon <darin.herndon at chk.com> wrote:

  I apologize for the long email below but the citations provided got me to pull some resources at work and check things as well. Due to the length, I have cut items below Alden's immediate previous reply. If you need to trace something, please look to previous emails.

In summary, I accept that impaling arms could be appropriate in some specific cases for a fighter and consort but I am now more convinced that an escutcheon of pretence would be horribly incorrect. My cites and thoughts are below. I love the examples given so far and that I am finding and I love learning more about period precedence and its practice and meanings. I welcome any and all comments, refutations, disagreements, etc., with any of the above. Dig out your books and bring more to the discussion. Please. The more we research and contribute the more we all learn. If you disagree or think I am wrong, I am not going to take it personally and I hope no one else will if others add to the discussion.

Etienne