[ANSTHRLD] trumpets vs Devices

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 20:41:15 PST 2008

>  > If I (or anyone) wanted to make a tabard with a
>  > set of arms on it,
>  > what are some good techniques? I can sew, but I
>  > really, really don't
>  > relish having to sew some of the insane detail
>  > that some of you all
>  > likely see submitted for personal arms.

> Appliqué the major parts and embroider or paint
>  the detail. Stencils and stamps have also been
>  used for multiple things like ermine spots.

Erm.  I come from a shire which has a bordure nebuly and the number of
times I have heard, "that @#^%&*! bordure" from those attempting
appliqué has turned me off from the technique. In fact, when doing up
baldrics the folks who volunteered their services used embroidery
because it was easier.  I've done some appliqué myself and with my
distinct lack of sewing skills found the job too much and handed it
off to someone else who swore at it for almost two weeks before
getting it back to me finished by hand because the machine was
inadequate to the task. It was a cloud.

There's the iron-on stuff but really, the last thing you need is your
tabard shedding pieces and bits when the weather gets warm or cold...
The glue is better but you'll still have reveling edges.

Fabric paint. It is period and works for those of us who can't sit
down and whip out seamstress-level work.  And it's quick. If you're
going to make tabards of others' arms, by the way, take your pay in
something commiserate to the effort you put into the job.  Food,
potables and crafted materials that you can use often come to mind.

My payment scale for a weekend of work as a personal herald is 'feed
me' and how much work I'll be doing overall sets the number of meals
I'll need. The one time I spent the entire weekend, my employer's
household covered all my meals, set my tent up and packed it away, and
I got a really nice handcrafted cloak clasp as well.  I'd asked to be
fed, the rest was my employer's decision that I needed more for the
use of my voice.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html