[ANSTHRLD] Looking for Cliodhna ni Bhriain

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Tue Mar 18 11:29:40 PDT 2008

> >I received an email from a woman in the Midrealm's Barony of Brendoken,
> >who is looking for contact information for Cliodhna ni Bhriain, in
> >regards to name submission assistance.
>
> Cliodhna stopped playing many years ago.

If the submitter is looking for information on <ni Bhriain>, I can discuss
that.

If the submitter is looking for info on the element <Cliodhna>, it's in O/
Corra/in & Maguire (p. 53 s.n. Cli/dna: Cli/odhna).

The header format indicates that the spelling <Cli/odhna> is either an Early
Modern Irish (c1200-c1700) form or a Modern Irish (c1700-present) form.  I
can't tell which.  My bet is that it's okay for Early Modern, but no promises.

However, the entry lists only legendary bearers of the name.  So, unless
evidence can be found that the name was used outside of legend, it likely
isn't registerable today.  Here's a relevent precedent:

No documentation was provided, and none could be found, that the feminine
given name Fionnabhair was used outside of legend. Lacking evidence that it
was used by humans in period, it is not registerable. [Fionnabhair inghean
Thighearnaigh, 06/2003 LoAR, R-Caid]

If the question is how the name got passed for <Cliodhna ni Bhriain>, the
answer is simple: it was 1984.  The registration standards were Very
Different back then.

Hope this helps,

Mari