[ANSTHRLD] conflict check double check

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Tue Mar 25 09:52:26 PDT 2008

Hedwig wrote:
> Consider the following  from a submitter:
>
> Per bend sinister vert and sable, a wolf salient  within a
> bourdureembattled argent.
>
> *versus:*
>
>  William
> Hethefelde<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi?p=William%20Hethefelde>
>
>    - The following device associated with this name was registered in
>    April of 2004 (via
> Caid)<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_date.cgi?y1=2004&m1=April&y2=
> 2004&m2=April&kC=checked>
>    :
>    *Per pale <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=per+pale>
> sable<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=sable>and
>    vert <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=vert>, an armored wolf
>    statant contourny <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=contourny>
>    ululant within a bordure
> <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=bordure>
>    embattled <http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=embattled>
> argent<http://oanda.sca.org/glossary.cgi?p=argent>
>    .*

(There's a way to get the glossary URLs to not show up in the OandA, but I
forget offhand what it is.)

>  This was the only possible conflict I found.  Or, is there a CD for
> statant and salient?

There is indeed a CD between salient/rampant and statant/passant. There's
another CD, as it happens, for reversing the direction of the wolf.

> The
> bordure is being added to attempt and clear these conflicts:
>
> Johnathan Crusadene Whitewolf registered June 1972:
>
> "Gules, ermined argent, a wolf rampant argent"

There's one CD for the field, and another CD for the ermine spots, I
believe, so you probably don't need to add the bordure to clear this one.

>  Robert Strongbow registered June 1973:
>
> "Vert, a wolf rampant argent, grasping in its erect sinister
> forepaw a bow
> gules, held fesswise, and in its dexter forepaw a sheaf of
> three clothyard
> shafts Or, armed and flighted argent"

Only one CD for the field, and there's nothing else, so yes you need the
bordure here.

> Judith Jehana di Ettore, reg. 6/90 via the West,
>
> "Per bend sinister gules and sable, a fox rampant to sinister argent"

One CD for the field, and another CD for the swap between the wolf facing
dexter (default) and sinister, so this one is also clear without adding the
bordure.

However, also note:

Caid, Kingdom of, registered July 2007:
Azure, a greyhound rampant regardant collared within a bordure embattled
argent.

One CD for the field, possibly one for the difference between a greyhound
and a wolf, but also possibly not (I'm not remembering my precedences very
well at the moment - as of at least the 6/2001 cover letter, they are a
conflict). No other differences, so a possible conflict.

Alistrina de Mann, registered February 1996:
Pean, a wolf sejant erect guardant within a bordure engrailed argent.

One CD for the field, and one CD for changing the complex line of the
bordure between engrailed and embattled. Clear.

Ulf de Fribois, registered October 2002:
Per bend azure and vert, a wolf rampant reguardant and a bordure indented
argent.

One CD for the field, and one CD for changing the complex line of the
bordure between indented and embattled. Clear.

-Emma