[ANSTHRLD] Fynnon Gath in O&A

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue May 6 08:41:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, doug bell <magnus77840 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We register the name not the group status.  It can be updated by
> Bordure in a LoI if it bothers folks in the group.

Yes, it can be done, but I suggest not bothering.  Anyone looking for
the group's current status should be checking up on the group in more
official and current places anyway (like the group's Web page or the
kingdom Web page).

- The designator changes nothing protection-wise, as Magnus implied.

- There can be a lag between the group changing status and it getting
   noted elsewhere.

- If the group ever submits anything, it'll get updated automatically
   then (they'll notice that it's now Fynnon Gath, Principality of
   instead of Fynnon Gath, Stronghold of, or whatever, and update the
   Armorial).

- Laurel, on her own mere motion, cannot release the names or armory
   of defunct groups; even kingdoms have to go through a lengthy
   procedure.  So the Armorial can't even tell you accurately which
   groups are quick and which are dead; why depend on it to tell you
   what its designator is?

> Fynnon Gath is the registered spelling.  Changing the spelling would
> require filing a change of branch name which is not related to
> correcting the shire part of the name.
> I seem to remember that F and Ff are different letters in Welsh so
> the change of spelling would have to be documented as well.

Which is to say, you'd have to document and justify the name as if it
were a new submission, and it's not out of the question that the two
spellings have entirely different meanings.  Consider Ogden Nash's
most famous poem, The Lama
<http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/1080.html>:

     The one-l lama,
     He's a priest.
     The two-l llama,
     He's a beast.
     And I will bet
     A silk pajama
     There isn't any
     Three-l lllama.*

             -- Ogden Nash

     * The author's attention has been called to a type of
       conflagration known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

(The footnote is Nash's too.)

We could rustle up some Welsh experts.

> It would also require a petition from the populace.

And not just any petition: there are requirements on what the petition
has on it.

Danyell Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com