[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Branch name enquiry - Really Old stuff

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri May 23 09:24:40 PDT 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Darin Herndon <darin.herndon at chk.com> wrote:
> Actually, it is not as difficult as this makes it sound.  If the
> group was in the West Kingdom when it was dissolved / went defunct,
> then the name and any armory reverted to the West Kingdom for
> ownership.

As I recall, the statement in the College of Arms Admin Handbook about
what to do with defunct groups is relatively recent.  If the group
went defunct in the early 80s, there may have been no AH statement at
that time, or maybe not even any precedent at that time.

I think the AH ought to be changed to specify the current kingdom(s)
that contain(s) the area that had been assigned to the branch, and if
possible the existing wording should be interpreted that way.

Or, alternately, the kingdom(s) that ever contained the area in
question, which has the advantage of quieting any possible protests.
In this case, if the West and An Tir both advertise the release of the
gruop name and armory in their respective newsletters, you can't argue
that the proper approval (whichever it is) hasn't been got.

Danet "'What happened to the little unbaptised babies when they closed
Limbo?'" de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com