[ANSTHRLD] Halberd Default Question

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:51:27 PDT 2008

> I am working on a Device Submission that contains "2 Halberds in saltire"  as the Primary Charge.  I understand the "business ends" of the Halberds would default to the chief, but would default also include both the axes (main blades) out and towards the base?  Also is there a default tincture for the Halberd?  I am assuming wood pole with Argent hardware?  I wish to keep the Blazon as brief as possible.

Tostig is correct, there is no default tincture.  However, a halbert
hafted proper would have a brown wooden handle (I think that's found
under Wood in that Table, perhaps it's in Laurel precedent).  So if a
steel blade and wooden handle is intended, 'argent hafted proper'
should be your blazon.

A halberd defaults to head to chief and business edge to dexter. I
think that in saltire the cutting edges will face away from one
another by default.  So yes, you think correctly as to their
orientation in that arrangement.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html