[ANSTHRLD] Device

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 02:58:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ulrich,
>
>  Unfortunately, changing from "Azure, a wolf rampant, a chief embattled Or" to "Azure, a wolf rampant within a bordure embattled Or" does not resolve the cited conflict.
>
>  Here's the argument from the ICC (Teceangl's correcttion of the RfS quote I used is correct):
>
>  Tostig
>  [Device] Concur with the (ultimate) reblazon "Azure, a wolf rampant, a chief embattled Or."
>  Consider versus "Azure, a wolf salient and a base engrailed Or." (Rognvaldr Byrgisheraðingr, Nov 99, Device). I see 1 CD for changing from "a chief embattled" to "a base engrailed"
>  per RfS X4b ("... Changing from a pale wavy to a fess embattled is also one change of type, not a change of type plus a change of edge partition.), but not for a change of posture between "rampant" and "salient".
>  Teceangl
>  [Device] The conflict call against Rognvaldr Byrgisheraðingr is solid, there is only the one CD by X.4.e.

What Tostig said.  I'm flattered that my analysis was of use.

That's a correct blazon, by the way, Ulrich.

You need another CD since you have one already.  You might consider
powdering the field (you know, like powdered sugar on toast) with
charges such as crosses crosslet or mullets or billets, all three of
which were commonly used in period for that purpose. That would create
a second CD under RfS X.4.b. for adding a charge group to the field.
Another good and period change that would add a CD is making the
bordure semy of roundels (the most popular charge on bordures in
period, period) or crosses, mullets, or any other simple charge that
you like, preferably azure to reflect the field tincture. Adding a
group of charges on a bordure (or any other charge on the field) is a
CD by RfS X.4.i.  It's also exceedingly period so your wonderful style
wouldn't be ruined.

- Teceangl
--
Heraldry is designed to be easily reproduced by anyone who sees the arms. -
http://www.s-gabriel.org/docs/clichelist.html