[ANSTHRLD] In Saltire?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu May 22 12:30:59 PDT 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008, Mike C. Baker <kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang von Sachsenhausen wrote:
>> I know if 2 like objects intersect at their centerpoints they
>> are referred to being "in saltire."  But if that intersection
>> is at a point above or below their centerpoints, is there a
>> special term for that?  Thanks!
>
> There are a number of traditional methods of specifying such a
> "place of issuance".  SCA Heraldry generally does not use the named
> points such as center, nombril, etc. (except by default), so the
> common method has been to mention non-default placement as "in
> chief", "in base", "enhanced", or "debased".

That's the location of the charge pair with respect to the shield, not
the place on the pair where they cross (which is with respect to
themselves).  For example, a Trimaris kingdom badge is

     Per chevron inverted sable and gules, in chief a key fesswise Or
     and in base a triskelion arrondi argent between two ears of wheat
     crossed in base at the tips in saltire Or.

The location on the shield is in base, but the ears of wheat intersect
at their tips.

Doing a quick blazon pattern search finds three instances of
"crossed/conjoined at their tips" and six of "crossed ... at the
tips".

> However, note that I believe there is a relatively recent precedent
> that disallows "debased" due to Victorian-era derived connotations.

I would be very surprised.

Danielis Lindocolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com